- Student Counseling Center, Coral Gables Campus and Medical Campus
- Medical Student Behavioral Health Service, Miller School of Medicine Campus Department of Psychiatry
- Counseling Center Community Provider Referral Database
- University of Miami Chaplain Services
- Referral Options for Non-UM Resources
- Regional Campus Students
Student Counseling Center, Coral Gables Campus and Medical Campus
For complete hours, location, and general information, visit http://counseling.studentaffairs.miami.edu
The Medical Branch of the Counseling Center is now located at:
Dominion Tower, 1400 NW 10th Avenue
5th Floor, Suite 514
Across the street and to the EAST of CRC
The UM Counseling Center is the primary counseling and mental health provider for all UM students. We promote the personal well-being and academic achievement of students through comprehensive mental health services.
The UM Counseling Center provides short-term time limited individual, couples, and group therapy as well as psycho-educational outreach programming and consultation. Urgent care and limited career and psychological assessments are also available. Psychiatric services are available to those under the care of a UM Counseling Center therapist.
The UM Counseling Center staff consists of experienced professionals from the fields of mental health counseling, psychology, social work, and psychiatry. Student Fees cover services, and all counseling services are included in your Student Health and Counseling Fee.
To schedule an appointment, call 305-284-5511 or stop by their office. There are two easy ways to access services from the Counseling Center:
DR. ADDYS KARUNARATNE (‘DR. K’) AND MS. YVONNE RODRIGUEZ ARE WORKING DIRECTLY ON THE MEDICAL CAMPUS 5 DAYS PER WEEK.
TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT TO SEE THEM ON THE MEDICAL CAMPUS PLEASE FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS LISTED HERE
ALTHOUGH THEY HAVE HOURS ON THE MEDICAL CAMPUS, YOU WILL STILL NEED TO CALL THE GABLES CAMPUS CENTER AT 305-284-5511 TO SCHEDULE. DIRECTIONS ARE LISTED ONLINE.
- We make every effort to see students requesting an initial appointment within two weeks.
- During the fall and spring semesters we offer limited same-day intakes that are on a first come/call, first served basis. Same-day intakes open up for scheduling at 8:45 am the day of the intake and cannot be scheduled any further in advance.
- Please arrive 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment time in order to complete the clinic paperwork.
- When you come in for your initial appointment, you will meet with a counselor for 50 minutes to discuss your concerns and develop a treatment plan.
- If you schedule a more emergent/triage appointment, you will see a counselor for 20-30 minutes to assess your needs and identify next steps in your care
- ANY student may WALK IN to the GABLES campus Counseling Center for any urgent needs.
- There are NO WALK IN appointments on the MEDICAL CAMPUS
Medical Student Behavioral Health Service, Miller School of Medicine Campus Department of Psychiatry
The Medical Student Behavioral Health Service (MSBHS), managed by the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health, offers outpatient mental health services to medical students. Service is provided by licensed psychiatrists. The service is completely confidential. The service provides acute care, elective care, and follow-up care.
Evaluations and Treatment with UMMSM Faculty in Dept of Psychiatry
- Starts with 5 free visits, more as needed
- Weekday regular workday hours
- To make a confidential appointment please call confidential phone line dedicated to medical student appointments 305-243-2774 to request the appointment. This is a VOICEMAIL number, you will be prompted to leave information so you can be scheduled. You should hear back about scheduling within 48 hours of your leaving a message.
- After hours, and on weekends and holidays, students may leave a message on the dedicated phone line for non-emergencies. For emergencies, see below.
Counseling Center Community Provider Referral Database CLICK on LINK for Database
The University of Miami Counseling Center (UMCC) is proud to announce our new Counseling Center Referral Service. This online system will allow UM students, faculty and staff to search for mental health providers in the community. These mental health providers will periodically update their information to keep our database and your search results relevant. You will have the ability to search for a provider through various filters such as specialty area, insurance provider, location and more. The database is new and growing each week. We encourage you to periodically check the database as we will constantly be adding providers. Should you have any questions about referrals, please call 305-284-5511. All providers must request to join our database. Please click the link below to start your search and to learn how to join our referral database. Thank you!
University of Miami Chaplain Services
Fr. Phillip Tran is a Catholic priest who serves the entire University of Miami community, is an alumnus of UM, and graduated with a Neuroscience degree (2008).
He will now be available for “stop-by” visits on the Medical campus on WEDNESDAYS:
1:30-3:00PM outside the Calder Library
3:00-4:00PM outside on the QUAD
Consider these times his “office hours” and feel free to stop by to see him.
Fr. Tran represents not only the Catholic Church but also the Chaplains Association for the University of Miami. Please let him know if you would like to contact a specific chaplain that serves your denomination.
DAYTIME: During normal business hours – Call Student Counseling Center at 305-284-5511, or WALK IN (Gables Campus)
- For an immediate emergency, CALL 911 or go to the nearest emergency room
- Otherwise, Choose the option that best suits your needs:
- Student Counseling Center 24/7 after hour on call access – Any student can call the Counseling Center to speak to a licensed counselor at 305-284-5511
- City of Miami Police Department (if ON Campus): 305-603-6640
- UMMSM Public Safety: 305-243-6000
- Sexual Assault Resource Team (24/7) SART HOTLINE 305-798-6666
- ULifeline: nationwide 24hr service that forwards your call to the nearest crisis hotline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
REFERRAL OPTIONS FOR NON-UM RESOURCES
You may be interested in seeking help somewhere not affiliated with UM. For options around South Florida and throughout the State please click on the County: